Friday, June 18, 2010

death comes by surprise

death is no stranger to me. It has taken my maternal grandparents’ generation away from me, leaving me with only one granduncle left. It has taken beloved relatives from me, like Papa Dodo & Uncle Gary. It has taken spiteful relatives too. I grew up attending funerals, none of which I’ve cried at. Thing is, these deaths were technically foreseen, either through old age or in sickness. So I managed to rationalize myself through it.

This time however, threw me off balance. Ironic thing is, this guy is not even a relative of mine. I always saw him around but never spoke to him, was always too shy to say a word or frankly, I just didn’t find the time to. The past weekend changed that, as I spent three days and two nights with him and his wife along with all the other catechists at a retreat. I grew to know this couple, bubbly carefree people who were so easy to mix around with (which is a rare thing for me). I got to know that they were newly converts who rejoiced in the Lord and despite his nonchalant cutesy “I don’t really bother about these things” attitude, one could sense his true love and fear for God. One cannot but help feel at ease and joyful around them.

I just found out today, that he had passed away by a heart attack. I just COULD NOT believe it! I mean, its too unreal! I just saw this guy this weekend, spent a few days with him, got to know him! and today he’s gone? I heard the news an hour or two ago, and I’m still in disbelief and numb until now.

my heart goes out to his wife, may God bless her and comfort her in this time of distress. God bless his soul, and keep him close to His side.

No comments:

Post a Comment