Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Things I’ve Been Told

I have been told to be content with what I have. I have been told to step out of my comfort zone.
I have been told to venture out. I have been told to stick to the norm.
I have been told to try new things. I have been told to stick to what I know.
I have been told to dream big. I have been told to be realistic.
I have been told to be silent. I have been told to be vocal.
I have been told to be modest. I have been told to be wild.
I have been told to be obedient. I have been told to be rebellious.
I have been told I'm loved beyond measure. I have been told I'm impossible to love.
I have been told I am pretty. I have been told I'm fat.
I have been told to be careful. I have been told to throw caution to the wind.
I have been told to stay true firm in my beliefs. I have been told to change with the times.
I have been told to be outspoken. I have been told not to be rude.
I have been told to be true to myself. I have been told to fake it until you make it.

With everything everyone else tells me and what I tell myself, it's no wonder I feel like I'm stretched beyond my limits. I understand I need to be adaptable, but where do I draw the line before I lose myself completely? I find myself constantly changing to meet everyone else's needs and keep myself afloat, who am I really? My weakness is my strength, vice-versa. What I know is what I hate, yet it is what I've perfected and I struggle internally on whether it is a source of pride or shame to have such notches in my life.

So tell me, who do you want me to become today? I'll perfect that role especially if it'll fail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment